Kenneth Casilla (7/30/92-3/23/13)

On March 23rd, 2013 FDR High School lost a former Cougar, Kenneth Casilla. Kenny was but another victim of gun violence in America. I do not want this article to be about Kenny’s death. I want it to be about his life at FDR. Before Kenny became a Cougar, he attended P.S. 133. It was at P.S. 133 that Kenny found his love for basketball. I remember Kenny’s first day of high school. His cousin, Jonathan Leduc, brought him to meet me. Kenny was so shy and scared of me. I decided to scare him a little more. I told him, “If you want to play basketball for me or this school, you better start walking like a man- not a little boy.” Kenny didn’t scare. He smiled and said, “I can do that.” Kenny loved it when I tried to scare him. I spent the next 4 years watching after Kenny. Ms. Maione, Kenny’s Principal, loved him. However, she and I both agreed what Kenny needed was tough love. It was hard not to have a soft spot for the kid. He was a clown, but he was very charismatic.
pg 6, pic 14 Kenny Casilla (480x640)
Kenny was a very talented basketball player. FDR won back to back Division Titles while Kenny was on the Varsity Basketball team. Kenny’s senior year, FDR was ranked third in the PSAL A Division Playoffs and was ranked in the Top Ten for most of the year, among NYC’s elite AA PSAL and Catholic school programs. Kenny was considered one of the top point guards in Brooklyn. He was a tremendous shooter and playmaker. While FDR did not win the City Championship that year, it was the closest we had ever gotten. Without Kenny, that team would never have been the same. He was special.
Kenny’s Mother Yvette and I desperately wanted Kenny to attend college after high school. Unfortunately, it was not our decision to make. Kenny decided to pursue his other passion, music. I am sticking to my belief that Kenny was a better point guard than rapper. But I have to say, Kenny “Nu Money” Casilla was an outstanding artist, with a bright future. The entire FDR family would like to extend our deepest condolences to Yvette and Kenneth’s entire family. While Kenny is no longer with us, he remains in our hearts.

View Comments (4)

• N

NolanApr 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hey Brendan

Great article. I recently learned of this sad, sad news. Being a college coach I can remember coming to see FDR play while trying to recruit some of FDR’s finest. Kenny was like no other. His confidence, charisma and leadership stood much taller than his frame. He was a great player, and the talks I had with him after games were always enjoyable.

I’d have loved the chance to coach him, however I feel lucky to have seen him play and that I got to know him briefly.

Brooklyn, the game of basketball and the hip hop scene lost a bright star but most importantly Kenny’s family lost one of their own. God bless him and them. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Best,

Nolan T. Adams

Reply
    • Y

yvette casillaMar 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

I AM KENNY MOM THANK U SO MUCH FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS 32314 WILL MAKE 1 YEAR SINCE HE BEEN GONE I WILL LIKE TO DEDICATE HIS SHIRT TO FDR & HAVE THEM HANG IT UP. PLEASE CONTACT ME MAMANUMONEY@ICLOUDCOM

Reply
      • C

CurtflirtApr 15, 2014 at 2:41 am

Ms. Yvette, your son had a lot of talent, sorry for your loss. I just discovered him on YouTube tonight and was like “Wow, who is this little dude, he’s really good?” I wish you the best of luck with the case.

Reply
  • Y

yvetteApr 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm

kenny was my son, he played ball even after HS anytime he can get on, he took off for 1 year to pursue his music, he was ready to go back cause the music was just a back up. kenny was my everything im so hurt that his life was taking away from me & so short. please keep us in your prayers 7 for them to find the person who did this.

Reply