Julissa Arce: One of Many Hispanics / Latinos To Be Celebrated This Month!

Hispanic Heritage Month stated as National Hispanic Heritage week in September of 1968. It later expanded to Hispanic Heritage month in 1988.
From September 15 to October 15, Hispanic heritage is celebrated every year all across the United States. During this 30 day period, we celebrate and honor the contributions of those incredible individuals who have done so many great things. The nation celebrates in many different ways- such as parades, festivals and many other events all over the country. For example, the United States military honors the contributions Hispanics have made protecting the nation. This month isn’t just honoring those who made it to the history books. According to Jill Biden, ” there are names that never make the headlines – parents and siblings, grandparents and neighbors, teachers and mentors – whose everyday decisions shape our lives and ripple forward, whose stories and legacies are left behind in the hearts of all they touched.”

Julissa Arce: The undocumented immigrant that made it to Wall Street!

Julissa Arce is a Mexican born author and social justice activist whose story first started when she immigrated to the United States from Mexico at the age of 11. She knew nothing about life in the United States, except what she learned from books and tv shows. All these sources only talked about white Americans. Having to learn the English language and assimilate was tough for her. Young Arce had to act like those around her, mainly white girls, to feel accepted. She was often being told, “You sound like a white girl!” This is now the title of one of her well known books. During her late teen years, she had to come home from school and help her mom make and sell, “raspados y churros,” a very well known Mexican snacks, in the streets to make ends meet. Despite her migratory status, she was able to fulfill the American dream. Working in a highly competitive field, she made headlines when she revealed her status, “The undocumented immigrant that got to Wall Street.” This shocked many, due to her being able to progress to such a position despite the obstacles that society puts on undocumented immigrants, in order for them to not reach their full potential. 

The impact within the community

Julissa Arce is one of many Hispanics, and especially Mexicans, who have gone beyond other people’s expectations. As a Mexican American, I honor people like Julissa and other Hispanics who work every day, for a minimum wage. They make me and their community proud. I want to honor those tired Hispanic/ Latino essential workers, those who work in factories, retail, restaurants, and construction who don’t get the recognition and respect they deserve. Those undocumented parents who work for their children to fulfill what they couldn’t. Those who can’t visit their families back in their home countries for decades, due to being their family’s main source of income. Those who feel trapped and lonely in this great nation. To them, I say Thank You!