The Crumbling Compassion and Empathy in Society

Online influencers have really caught the attention of younger audiences seeking guidance and motivation, especially Gen Z (Generation Z). But with this shift towards seeking self-help and advice online, there has been a concerning trend—a rise in hyper individualism within American society. This hyper individualistic mindset puts too much focus on oneself and loses touch with collective responsibility, which poses a significant challenge in nurturing compassion and moral understanding within communities.

In the realm of online self-help and advice from influencers, this translates into an attitude that places personal growth and happiness above everything else. A common phrase like, “I don’t owe anyone anything,” is being thrown around. The widespread adoption of this mindset could lead to a disconnection from the sense of being interconnected in society and sharing collective responsibilities. While self-help is meant to empower individuals to better their lives, an excessive focus on oneself without considering how it affects others can weaken social ties and impede the development of a compassionate society.

Jean-Paul Sartre’s novel “Nausea” delves into the struggle of an individual grappling with existential anxiety, feeling lost in a world where external validation seems elusive. He beautifully puts it, “Perhaps it is impossible to understand one’s own face. Or perhaps it is because I am a single man? People who live in society have learned how to see themselves in mirrors as they appear to their friends. I have no friends. Is that why my flesh is so naked?” (Jean-Paul Sartre 18). This struggle to comprehend one’s own identity without external affirmation underscores just how vital societal recognition is in shaping our self-image. In today’s world, the deep impact of social interactions and the need for validation cannot be underestimated. In a society becoming increasingly isolated and self-focused, the pursuit of identity and validation becomes all the more challenging. Essentially, people are losing those crucial connections that ground them and give them a sense of belonging and purpose.

Completely relying on external validation is not the way to go. But it’s more than okay to genuinely care about what others think of you. Of course, this doesn’t apply to things that aren’t inherently good or bad—like haircuts, fashion sense, or whether you think one film is better than another. However, if multiple people perceive you as selfish for example, it’s absolutely valid to take notice of this recurring opinion about you. Encouraging compassion is about finding that balance between personal aspirations and a sense of responsibility towards others, effectively countering the adverse effects of hyper individualism. 

Gen Z is passionate about bringing awareness to social, environmental, and economic issues, and they’re vocal about their concerns for a more just society. However, on a smaller scale, some Gen Z exhibit behaviors and attitudes that prioritize personal needs and desires over communal well-being, highlighting a paradox. This paradox underscores the importance of striking a balance between individual growth and collective progress. This upcoming obstacle challenges Gen Z and society as a whole to reflect on how personal aspirations can align with broader societal goals without succumbing to hyper individualism. To conclude, a balance between our personal growth and responsibility towards our community is crucial in today’s digital age, where online influence is pervasive and the rise of hyper individualism is a pressing concern.