Gen Z: The Loneliest Generation

There is a quiet epidemic of loneliness sweeping through Gen Z, and many people are pointing fingers at the influence of social media, particularly platforms like TikTok. In the world of TikTok, self-care has taken on a peculiar meaning; it is often used as a justification for swiftly cutting off friendships over minor issues, sometimes without a genuine cause. This portrayal of self-care fosters a toxic environment where genuine human connections take a backseat to maintaining a curated online persona. Coupled with the rise of hustle culture, which prioritizes individual success at the expense of authentic relationships, Gen Z finds itself in the midst of what can only be described as a friendship recession.

Yet, the challenges of forming meaningful connections for Gen Z extend beyond the influence of social media. The evolution of communication technology has transformed the landscape of interpersonal interactions. What was once a straightforward process of texting has morphed into a labyrinth of social nuances and unspoken rules. Sending a simple, “bye” text now feels awkward amidst the backdrop of never-ending conversations that pause and resume arbitrarily. This new dynamic adds layers of complexity to reaching out or asking to hang out, especially when navigating interactions with someone new.

At the heart of this loneliness epidemic lies a deeper issue: the commodification of human relationships. Social media has transformed individuals into brands, where the number of subscribers and likes becomes the yardstick for self-worth. In this digital realm, the focus shifts from genuine connection to building an online persona and chasing after validation. People crave attention, but genuine human connection takes a backseat to the allure of digital fame. The constant exposure to curated lives and experiences fuels a fear of missing out (FOMO), leading individuals to commit more to the algorithm than to each other. In this era of hyperconnectivity, Gen Z finds itself more isolated than ever before.