Disney Is In Their Lazy Era

Is Disney doing the bare minimum? Over time, Disney has been trying to keep up with modern day trends and issues. One issue in the entertainment industry would be the diversity in casting a film.There are many controversies surrounding Disney’s “inclusivity” in their recent live action movie, The Little Mermaid, and the upcoming live action movie, Snow White. Nowadays, inclusivity is what the audience is lookout in films. There is nothing wrong with inclusivity, it is nice to see people with different ethnic backgrounds. However, Disney is not doing their job in the right way, it just seems like they are casting actors in roles that they don’t typically fit in to show how “progressive” they are.

The Little Mermaid live action movie was heavily criticized on social media because the actress, Halle Bailey, didn’t physically resemble the red haired, pale complexion mermaid. Even though the actress’ acting skills were magnificent, the audience didn’t feel satisfied with the casting choice. This reaction coming from a, “woke” society, is quite surprising. However, it can be inferred that the displeasure might be because the movie didn’t give them the nostalgia that they wanted. This was not the only issue, many people called Disney’s effort to include diversity lacking and lazy, because they could’ve avoided all this controversy by just creating a new movie or character representing a minority in the film industry. Their lack of effort can also be seen in the upcoming live action remake movie, Snow White. This film completely changed the characters involved and the plot of the story. Snow White isn’t “as white as the snow,” and the “7 dwarfs” aren’t really dwarfs anymore. People are truly upset by this upcoming movie, since most of the story is completely changed, and here we can see once again Disney is just trying to be inclusive by hiring people of color to play old movie roles, rather than taking the time and effort to create a new project to properly show minority representation.

Overall, Disney is doing the bare minimum to please the audience. As movie castings were criticized for being too uniform with no diversity, Disney and other companies have been taking the chances to force in diversity for the sake of their business. But, at the end of the day, a business has to be run with strategies and one of the strategies would be joining on modern trends and issues.