The Power of Time Management: How People with ADHD Master It.

Do you struggle with trying to get the most out of your day? It’s no secret that time management is essential for having a productive day; however, for individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the process of planning how to effectively divide time between activities can often lead to frustration and even result in the worst: procrastination. Thankfully, there are a lot of strategies for navigating the complex realm of time. So, let’s examine some of those creative ways people with ADHD approach time management and gather techniques that even those without ADHD could utilize.

Time Blocking:

If you are someone who likes the idea of to-do lists, but also find them impractical and easy to abandon, then the technique known as time blocking may be a good fit for you. The main concern with to-do lists is that they are too broad, as they are just a list of things that need to be done, and it’s easy to just forget or ignore those tasks. Time blocking addresses this issue. Instead of making a list of tasks that need to be completed, divide your day into various specific time periods (blocks), then assign each task to a block that will last a certain amount of time. If you find it difficult to work for long, continuous hours, then you might find it more helpful to split a block into various shorter blocks with breaks in between. This technique is quite famous with people with ADHD; even Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft who’s been struggling with ADHD, has admitted that he uses time blocking to schedule his day!

Reward yourself: 

Improving your schedule and working towards being more productive is not an easy journey, especially for those with ADHD. It is crucial to reward yourself while accomplishing a task, no matter how small or easy it might seem. Treat yourself to something you enjoy. Whether it’s a small treat, a short break, or a favorite hobby. Taking breaks is especially beneficial as it will not only motivate you to finish the task faster, but it will also clear up your mind so that you’re ready for the next thing. 

As ADHD Awareness Month is here, recognizing the signs of ADHD and working towards managing them with healthy techniques is the first step towards a better organized life. The fact that you took time to read this article proves your commitment to moving forward. There might be a lot of times when you can go off track and get distracted and that is completely normal. Some minor drawbacks should be expected; after all, Rome wasn’t built in a day.