Break Time!

Break+Time%21

Most people have experienced (at some point in their lives) some form of burnout or stress. Either because of what seems like an endless pile of class assignments, or because of personal problems. It is difficult to recover and persevere in these situations, but it can be done. The title of this article, “Break Time” discusses the importance of taking a break, the benefits of relaxation, and tips to avoid burnout.

In the midst of academic rigor, extracurricular activities, or built-up stress, it’s easy for students like you or me to get caught up in the whirlwind of responsibilities. Constantly overworking oneself can lead to a wide range of problems including stress, mood swings, and a decrease in overall well-being. This is a sign to put off what you’re doing and take a break.

The benefits of putting your mind somewhere else is beyond what you would initially think. It gives you the ability to recharge physically and mentally, whether it’s from sleeping or doing something you enjoy. We’ll get further into that later on. Participating in activities you love, whether it’s reading a favorite book, going for a walk, or just listening to music, provides a mental escape from the pressures of school life. These moments contribute to greater creativity, better intentions, and better problem-solving skills. 

Knowing when and how to take a break is not easy. A well-timed break can make a big difference in productivity and can also boost your mood. But how???

Well first off, you can schedule breaks. This means intentionally putting aside one or two hours of the day to do whatever you want. In doing so, you are not constantly working. Secondly, you can change your environment. Sometimes a change of scenery is enough to refresh your mind. Get outside, breathe some fresh air, take in your surroundings, and get a new perspective. Last, but not least, Do. Not. Be. On. Your. Phone. What I mean is that phones and technology are addictive. Although they provide some kind of entertainment, you are gaining nothing else. Being on your phone for hours a day increases mental fatigue which is bad for you. Alternatives can include: sleeping, getting a recharge, or even staring at the ceiling. 

Well, what if you are currently experiencing burnout? Do not fear because these tips might come in handy. Relax. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. In the end, everything will work out.

Once you’ve come to that realization, this further advice might be useful. By setting small goals at a time, obstacles can seem less overwhelming. Breaking a large assignment into smaller parts is easier to handle and won’t discourage you to not complete it. If this doesn’t seem to help, you can also take care of yourself. Do things you enjoy, eat what you want, and get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. These little things can have a huge impact on yourself.

Lastly, it’s always nice to talk to someone about these problems. Talk to your parents, your best friends or even your teachers. Letting out emotion isn’t a bad thing. Rather, it’s healthy. It doesn’t look bad and you can receive the comfort you need by doing so.