The Election No One Wants

In 2020, there was immense publicity and debate over the election, as Joe Biden and Donald Trump would run against one another. Trump and Biden would use social media as a means to try and gain voters, while also feuding with the other candidate. The 2020 election would be highly controversial, with Trump calling for a recount, being unable to accept the fact that he lost the 2020 election. During Inauguration Day, in a very rare case, Trump did not show up for Biden, leaving many to wonder if that was the end to the bitter feud.

Now, it is 4 years later, with the 2024 elections coming up, the two major political parties have to decide their running candidate. For the Democratic party, it was obvious for them to choose Joe Biden as he is our current President, giving him a certain advantage in the election. However, for the Republican party it has been hard for them to decide who to support, leading many Republicans to be split, whether or not they should support Trump. After the 2020 elections, Trump would instigate the riot on the Capitol in Washington D.C., on January 6th, which led to him getting indicted. In addition to that, Trump proposed a new plan on immigration that essentially granted mass deportation and detention camps; because of this, many Republican officials and conservatives are wary about supporting Trump.

After 4 years, the election is once again coming up. Many upcoming adults are ready and prepared to vote for their next president, however, it is once again going to be an election between current president Joe Biden and former president Donald Trump. Throughout these past few years many of the upcoming adults are hesitant to who they should vote for. Many are concerned for the health of Joe Biden, as they believe that due to his old age, he is no longer fit to be able to control the bigger decisions for this nation. However, if they were to vote for Trump, his actions towards migrants and his ideas for 2025 will likely create conflicts throughout the entire nation. This has led many voters wanting to vote for an Independent or third party candidate, as they don’t align with the views of the Democrats or Republicans. But due to the system of the electoral college, and the winner takes all system, it is unlikely for a third party or independent to win.

If the 2024 election is anything like the 2020 election, it would mean a higher voter turnout, especially in younger voters, having increased to 50% in the 2020 election from the measly 39% it once was in the 2016 election. No matter what your opinion is on either Trump or Biden, one thing is certain, political participation has increased dramatically, especially in young voters. Important issues for young people include abortion rights and the war in Gaza. We are in for a long summer….