The King of Rock!

This month we’re going way back in time, to honor an amazing figure in music history. We all listen to music although our taste varies between each other. Some listen to Hip Hop, others to metal, and many listen to rock. But do all of us know the history of rock and roll? Earlier this month, this specific artists 79th birthday passed. Whether or not you are a fan of him, you’ve heard his name before, we all have. He is widely recognized as the King of Rock, and his name is Elvis Presley. Elvis was born on January 8th, 1935 in Tupelo, Mississippi. Elvis’ musical influences were the pop and country music of the time, the gospel music he heard in church, and the Black R&B music he heard as a teenager. All of these types of music shaped the style of music he made for the millions of fans. When Elvis first began, he was widely criticized for his dance moves and his music, the world had never before heard of anything like it. At the same time, many loved him. His hit songs such as “Jailhouse Rock” and “Hound Dog” won the hearts of many teenage girls around the world. With his catchy rock and roll tunes, he opened up a whole new chapter and era in music. He was nominated for 14 Grammy Awards, winning 3. Not only was he recognized as a singer, he was also an actor, getting the main role in 33 successful films, and landing roles on major TV shows. Sadly, at the age of 42, he passed away in his Memphis home. He is survived by his fans throughout the world, including me.