Swift’s Red

Swifts+Red

Swift’s Red could be the color of burning love, the image of a vanishing past, or a symbol of growth. 2012 seems to be a huge blossom of Pop Music in people’s memories, and in that year, Red was released as the fourth studio album by the mega pop star Taylor Swift. Back then, Swift was just a rising country star. Before the release of her most commercially successful pop album 1989, Red is her small step from her country roots to mainstream pop. This album had commercial success that Swift never experienced before, but under that her songwriting ability of capturing the finest scenes, and with the most mature process of melodies from her, proved that it is arguably the best album she ever made.

As the guitar line of “State Of Grace” kicks in, it shapes the grandness of this starting track, immediately showing great comparison to her other opening tracks. Compared to the tardy, reserved form of her past takes like, “Fearless,” the excitement of this track goes in line with Swift’s aggressive and emotional vocals, as if she was pulling all her feelings out on the idea that love is not its fullest, until it crashes out- then turns into fallen leaves in the Autumn air. The song led to the idea of breaking out, and then into disappearance which is the central ideology of this record. But, if losing is the consequence of a relationship, then what’s the purpose of love? Swift “swiftly” answers the question in the next song, the title track “Red.” “Losing him was blue like I’d never known,” “But loving him was red.” Swift points out that with the acknowledgement of blue, it signifies the sweetness of red. Which also means growth.

If love and disappearance are the two major topics of Red, then growth is the source of Red. Like leaves, after the fade of color that was remembered by its burning color. Growth is shown all over the album from her vocal skills, to her form of songwriting, even her attitude toward love. All of them were shown on the core of this album, the track, “All Too Well.” A reflection of one’s past relationship from her. If “Red” is the burning color of Autumn leaves, then “All Too Well,” is the process of it fading and dissipating, only leaving its bright impression. Swift recreates the scenes of the story into pieces of cinematic film, until it only translates out to be desperate pain.

Before Red, Swift’s music always had a huge country vibe and atmosphere to it. This gives an advantage to her writing style, which is mainly used in storytelling. However, it’s hard to always stay perfect or just maintain one genre. It’s not a hard guess that Swift would march to her step in pop music. However, her talent to bring pop music to be mixed with rock and country, in this album, showed her success in exploring the boundaries of mainstream pop music. Like the song, “I Knew You Were Trouble,” that had an obvious rock influence in it. 

Red overall is the essential part of Swift’s career, one that would not be forgotten for its detail and significance. While time flies, it still arguably remains to be Swift’s best album to date.