Time for Awareness: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

It may have been made known to you that this month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This started back in 1985, but what is it? Do you recognize the iconic pink ribbon or another ribbon with a shade of pink and combinations of colors? They represent different types of breast cancer. They stand as a symbol of hope for people with breast cancer, and a symbol for anyone to support and spread awareness about breast cancer.

What is an awareness month?

Most things that become an awareness month are things that impact many people worldwide. There is Mental Health Awareness, month because many people have mental health issues that others never know about until something terrible happens- like a drug overdose or suicide. Awareness months are times to bring prolonged issues, people usually neglect, into the eyes of the public. Breast Cancer Awareness Month is in time to make sure people realize Breast Cancer is serious and should not be ignored.

Significance 

If you didn’t know, Breast Cancer is the second leading cause of death in women worldwide, only behind heart disease. Women’s death statistics are linked with Breast cancer statistics. The scariest one being that 1 in 8 women have the chance of getting breast cancer compared to 1 in 1000 for men. However, if you keep a healthy weight and exercise, then the risk of breast cancer is lower, which is why there needs to be more awareness . If you get checked for it routinely, then the chance of survival can be up to 99% for those who find it within 5 years of its existence. Yet, some factors are uncontrollable like people can be at increased risk based on heredity, but some factors are controllable like alcohol addiction, abnormal weight, and an unhealthy diet, which can put you at a higher risk. 

The Greatest Supporters

There are many groups that fight for the cause of Breast Cancer Awareness- with the first group being Susan G. Komen, started in 1982. It is the one of the greatest non-profit organization worldwide in the fight against breast cancer. The creator of this organization is Nancy G. Brinker. She started the organization in honor of her promise to end breast cancer for her sister, Susan, who died from breast cancer. Her organization supported from $200 at its start to $3,600,000,000 (3.6 billion) today. 

The Sport Supporter 

The NFL teams up with the American Cancer Society to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month through its Crucial Catch games. They feature breast cancer awareness and have a mission of early screening and risk reduction for breast cancer. Professional sports teams supporting the cause are an important factor in bringing people’s attention to it. There are many sports brands like Adidas that support the cause, by bringing out their pink breast cancer awareness apparel at this time. There are even school sports teams that wear pink.

Spread Awareness!

Support the cause of Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Anyone can show support through actions like simply wearing pink to spreading the news about factors which reduce the risk. Anyone’s effort helps push for a better future. Hopefully, there will be a day when Breast Cancer Awareness Month is not needed anymore.