Top 10 Most Popular K-pop Groups of 2023!

Welcome to Top 10 Most Popular K-pop Groups of 2023! K-pop stands for Korean popular music and originates in South Korea. K-pop became popular in America during 2012, when the song “Gangnam Style” was released. These past few years many new K-pop groups such as, ‘NewJeans’ have become popular quickly. These are the top 10 most popular groups of the year!

1. BTS

BTS also known as the Bangtan Boys debuted on June 12th, 2013. They debuted under the company named, Hype with 7 members. BTS is known as one of the biggest boy groups in the K-pop industry. BTS fandom name is Army, which stands for Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth. From oldest to youngest, Jin is 30 years old and his position in the group is sub vocalist and visual. Suga also known as Yoongi is the second oldest, he is 29 years old and he is the Lead rapper. J-hope also known as Hobi is 28 years old, he is the main dancer, sub rapper, and sub vocalist. RM also known as Namjoon is 28 years old, he is the leader and the main rapper. Jimin is 27 years old, he is the main dancer and lead vocalist. V known as Taehyung is 27 years old, he is a sub vocalist, and visual. The youngest member is Jungkook he is 26 years old, he is the main vocalist, lead dancer, center, Maknae (youngest) and the sub-rapper. Jungkook, the youngest member, sang “Dreamers” for FIFA in 2022. Their song “I Need You” made them famous and saved them from disbanding. BTS is the first K-pop group to attend the Grammy awards and win. Currently BTS has 76.4 million subscribers on Youtube and their most popular song is “Dynamite” released in the year 2020.

2. Blackpink 

Blackpink debuted on August 8th, 2016 under the company YG Entertainment. Blackpink debuted with 4 members and their fandom name is Blinks which is a combination of the words “Bl/ack” and “P/ink. The members from oldest to youngest is Jisoo, 28 years old, and she the visual. Jennie is the second oldest and 27 years old she is the main rapper. Chae-Young known as Rose is the third oldest, she is 26 years old and is the main vocalist and lead dancer. Lalisa known as Lisa, is the youngest member, she is 26 years old and the main dancer. Lisa’s solo became the first debut song to reach 73.6 million views on Youtube in 24 hours! Currently Blackpink has 91.4 million subscribers on Youtube, they became the first artists in the world to record more than 90 million subscribers on YouTube and their most popular song is “DDU-DU DU-DU” released in 2018. It became the first music video in the K-pop industry to reach 1 billion views on YouTube. Some of their achievements are the MTV Video Music Award for Best Choreography and they were also the first K-pop group to perform in Coachella.

3. Twice 

Twice debuted on October 20 of 2015 under the company JYP Entertainment. Twice debuted with 9 members and their fandom name is Once! The members from oldest to youngest is Nayeon, who is 28 years old, she is the lead vocalist, lead dancer, and the center. The second oldest is Jeongyeon, she is 26 years old and the lead vocalist. Momo is 26 years old  and is the main dancer and rapper. Sana is 26 years old and the vocalist. Jihyo is 26 years old is the leader and main vocalist. Mina is 26 years old and the main dancer and vocalist. Dahyun is 25 years old and the lead rapper and vocalist. Chaeyoung is 24 years old and the main rapper and vocalist. Lastly is Tzuyu, she is 24 years old the lead dancer, vocalist, visual, and she the Maknae (youngest).  Twice has won many awards, such as 18 MAMA awards and 7 Seoul music awards. Currently Twice has 16.3 million subscribers and their most popular song is “The Feels” released in 2021. 

4. Exo

Exo debuted on April 8, 2012 under the company SM Entertainment. Exo debuted with 8 members and their fandom name is EXO-L, also called Aeri/Eri for short, which in Korean means guardian and blessing. The members from oldest to youngest is Xiumin the oldest, he is 33 years old and the sub vocalist and sub rapper. Suho is the second oldest, he is 32 years old and the leader, lead vocalist, and visual. Baekhyun is 31 years old and the main vocalist. Chen is 31 years old and the main vocalist. Chanyeol is 30 years old and the main rapper, sub vocalist, and visual. D.O. is 30 years old and the main vocalist. Kai is 29 years old and the main dancer, sub rapper, sub vocalist, center, and visual. Sehun is 29 years old and the lead dancer, lead rapper, visual and Maknae (youngest). Exo has also won over 100 music program awards, such as the World Music Award for World’s Best Song with “Growl”. Currently Exo has 9.55 million subscribers and their most popular song is “Love Shot” released in 2021.

5. Itzy

Itzy debuted on February 12, 2019 under the company JYP Entertainment. Itzy debuted with 5 other members and their fandom name is Midzy which stands for trust. The members from oldest to youngest is Yeji is the oldest member who is 23 and the leader, main dancer, lead vocalist, and sub rapper. Lia is the second oldest member, she is 23 years old and the main vocalist and sub rapper. Ryujin is 22 years old and the main rapper, lead dancer, sub vocalist, and Center. Chaeryeong is 22 years old and the main dancer, sub vocalist, and sub rapper. Yuna is the youngest member, she is 19 years old and the lead rapper, lead dancer, sub vocalist, visual, and Maknae (youngest). Currently Itzy has 8.63 million subscribers and their most popular song is “Wannabe” released in 2020. Itzy won the 2019 “Mnet Asian Music Award” for Best New Female Artists.

6. Seventeen

Seventeen debuted on May 26, 2015 under the company Pledis Entertainment. Seventeen debuted with 13 members and their fandom name is CARAT! The members from oldest to youngest is S.Coups who is the oldest, he is 28 years old and the leader, main rapper, and sub vocalist. Jeonghan is 27 years old and the lead vocalist and visual. Joshua is 27 years old and the lead vocalist and visual. Jun is 27 years old and the lead dancer and sub vocalist. Hoshi is 27 years old and the main dancer, lead vocalist, and sub rapper. Wonwoo is 27 years old and the lead rapper and sub vocalist. Woozi is 26 years old and the lead vocalist. DK is 26 years old and the main vocalist. Mingyu is 26 years old and the lead rapper, sub vocalist, visual, and the face of the group. The8 is 25 years old and the lead dancer, sub rapper, and sub vocalist. Seungkwan is 25 years old and the main vocalist and face of the group. Vernon is 25 years old and the main rapper, sub vocalist, visual, and face of the group. Last but not least Dino who is 24 years old and the main dancer, sub rapper, sub vocalist, and the Maknae (youngest). Seventeen has won the Billboard music awards and VMAs! Currently Seventeen has 10.2 million subscribers and their most popular song is “Don’t Wanna Cry” released in the year 2017. 

7. Red Velvet

Red Velvet debuted on August 1, 2014 under the company SM Entertainment. Red Velvet originally had 4 members that soon came to be 5 in 2015, Red Velvet’s fandom name is ReVeluv! The members from oldest to youngest is Irene who is 32 years old and her positions are the leader, vocalist, lead dancer, main rapper, visual, and center. The second oldest is Selugi who is 29 years old and the lead vocalist and main dancer. Wendy is also 29 years old and the main vocalist. Joy is 27 years old and the lead rapper and sub-vocalist. Lastly Yeri is 24 years old and the rapper, vocalist, and Maknae (youngest). Red Velvet won a “Mnet Asian Music Award” for best female group and the “Asia Artist Award” for song of the year! Currently Red Velvet has 5.3 million subscribers and their most popular song is “Bad Boy” released in the year 2018. 

8. NewJeans

NewJeans debuted on July 22, 2022 under the company ADOR with 5 members. NewJeans fandom name is Bunnies! NewJeans members do not have any positions and all perform equally. The members from oldest to youngest is Minji who is 19 years old, Hanni who is 18 years old, Danielle who is 18 years old as well, Haerin who is 17 years old, and the Maknae (youngest) of the group is Hyein who is 15 years old. This year NewJeans won a golden disc award and a Hanteo music award for rookie of the year. NewJeans currently has 5.7 million subscribers on youtube and their most popular song is “Ditto” released in the year 2022. 

9. Stray Kids

SKZ also known as Stray Kids debuted on March 25 of 2018 with 9 members. Now it is 8 members because of a member who left due to personal reasons. Stray Kids debuted under the JYP Entertainment company and their fandom name is STAY. The members from oldest to youngest is Bang Chan who is 25 years old and the leader, lead vocalist, rapper, producer, and lead dancer. Lee Know is 24 years old and the main dancer, vocalist, and rapper. Changbin is 24 years old and the main rapper, vocalist, and producer. Hyunjin is 23 years old and the main dancer, lead rapper, and visual. Han is 23 years old and the rapper and vocalist. Felix is 23 years old and the lead dancer and sub-rapper. Seungmin is 23 years old and the lead vocalist. Lastly I.N. is 22 years old and the vocalist and Maknae (youngest). This year Stray Kids won a Golden Disk Award for most popular artist! Stray Kids currently has 14.2 million subscribers and their most popular song is “God’s Menu” released in the year 2020. 

10. TXT

TXT also known as Tomorrow by Together debuted on March 4th, 2019. They debuted under the company named Hype with 5 members. TXT’s fandom name is MOA which stands for moments of ‘alwaysness’. The members from oldest to youngest is Yeonjun who is 24 years old and the main rapper and main dancer. Soobin is the second oldest, he is 22 years old and the leader, main vocalist and rapper. Beomgyu is 22 years old, he is the center and visual. Taehyun is 21 years old, he is the main vocalist. Lastly, Hueningkai who is 21 years old and the the main vocalist, visual, and Maknae (youngest). TXT was the first 4th gen group to receive a nomination at AMAs. TXT currently has 11.1 million subscribers on Youtube and their most popular song is “Crown” released in the year 2019.