Saint Patrick’s Day

Have you ever wondered about the history behind the popular holiday in March that’s filled with green? Saint Patrick’s Day is also known as the feast of Saint Patrick or St. Paddy’s Day. 

Background on Patrick and Saint Patrick’s Day 

On this day, Patrick, a patron saint of Ireland, died. To start off, Patrick was kidnapped at the age of 16 and was taken to Ireland. He escaped but returned to convert the Irish to Christianity. His attempts were successful and he was able to establish monasteries, churches, and schools. This led many people to come up with legends surrounding him. For example, stories about how he used the shamrock to explain the trinity or how he drove snakes out of Ireland. The shamrock has also become an object that reminds you of this holiday. Overall, Saint Patrick’s Day is a day to celebrate the bravery and success of saint Patrick and the Irish cultures.

Over the centuries, the holiday has spread throughout the world as a holiday that cherishes Irish traditions. The holiday was given its unique color green to represent the special time. Although blue was the traditional color that is associated to this day, it is more commonly connected to the color green. This holiday started to be celebrated ever since the mid 1700s when the Irish immigrants brought the holiday to the United states. Even though Saint Patrick’s Day is not an official federal holiday in the United States, it is still widely celebrated throughout the country in the month of March.