Cougars Basketball Is Back! An Interview With Coach Thomas.

Cougars basketball season is officially in full swing! Last season, the Cougars varsity team recorded 4 wins and 12 losses. The team celebrated wins against John Dewey and Midwood. As well as wins against division rivals New Utrecht and Fort Hamilton. With the 2023-2024 winter basketball season approaching, The New Dealer sat down with Coach Thomas and asked him a few questions about the upcoming season.

The New Dealer: How would you describe your coaching style?

Coach Thomas: I try to be a player’s coach. I like to motivate positively as much as I can, but also need to be a disciplinarian when needed. I would like to think that there is a balance.

The New Dealer: What steps does the team need to take to improve from last year?

Coach Thomas: We need to shoot the ball better than last season. Our team also needs to do a better job rebounding and playing good team defense.

The New Dealer: Who are some players to watch for this season? Young players and veterans.

Coach Thomas: Senior Amar Romero is our leader. Juniors Nathaniel Tony, Steven Gomez, and Ryan Swierczek should show signs of improvement with scoring.

The New Dealer:  What are the team’s greatest strengths and weaknesses?

Coach Thomas: Our strength is that we are now shooting the ball better. We are not the biggest team, so we will spread the floor and take advantage of dribbling the ball to create space and shots. Our weakness is rebounding due to our lack of height.

The New Dealer: Which teams do you consider to be division rivals? Why?

Coach Thomas: New Utrecht HS due to both of our school’s close proximity. Fort Hamilton HS because they seem to be at the top of the division each season.

The New Dealer: What are your expectations for this season?

Coach Thomas: My expectations are for our team to be much improved and much more competitive which hopefully will lead to more wins. Our team played together this past spring and summer in various leagues. They have worked very hard to develop their skills and to build chemistry. 

The Cougars’ won their first game of the season is on Wednesday, November 29th against Dewey! If you are interested in participating in basketball this year, be sure to contact Coach Thomas. Best of luck to our Cougars this season!