FDR Cougars Are Making A Difference

photo 2 (3) (600x800) 

The Student Council / Student Organization at FDR High School do a lot when the holidays come around. Involved with these activities are also the members of FDR Key Club. The types of activities these groups participate in basically help people who are not able to celebrate the holidays due to economic or physical circumstances. Whether it is kids with disabilities, or women in shelters, we try to do as much as we can each year.

One of the activities we hold this year is Toys for Tots. We encourage students and teachers to bring in toys for needy children. Toys can be anything from a coloring book to an airplane. The toys are then distributed to children in need around New York City at FDR’s annual trip to JFK airport. I think this is an amazing thing to do. What better feeling is there than knowing that you put a smile on a kids face?

Another activity we did this year was the Canned Food drive. We asked members of the Cougar family to bring in cans to help feed hungry people in our area. The cans will eventually go to City Harvest. We held this activity for the whole month of November. “We did this last year as well, and it was very successful,” claims Ms Perez.

One more activity we did this year was a Toiletry Drive. Since October was Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we collected items such as soaps, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, towels, and deodorants for women in shelters. I thought this was also a great thing to do, because there are women out there who don’t have any of this and need our help. It was actually our first time doing this activity at FDR, and we are definitely planning to do it again next year.

If you would like to help make a change, see Ms. Perez in room 119.  It is never too late to start helping others!