An Interview With Amber Raza

In this edition of The New Dealer, we had the opportunity to sit down with Amber Raza, Mrs. Katz’s Secretary! Ms. Raza plays a central role in assisting Mrs. Katz and the entire school community! 

1. What does your job entail as Mrs. Katz’s Secretary?

In addition to knowing the ins and outs of Mrs. Katz’s schedule, and how it interacts with the assistant principals, one of the major things that I do is ensure that all of administration is aware of upcoming events and have the required information for it. I need to know everyone’s calendar of events and what is happening in our school, so that way I can help facilitate the various aspects of the building to guarantee that everything runs smoothly. I also ensure that Mrs. Katz is equipped with all of the information she needs for the different meetings she has. My job also relies on filing, archiving employee records, important documentation, and making sure that we are stocked up on office supplies. In addition, I oversee making bathroom passes and doing the switchboard which consists of answering all phone calls in a timely manner and transferring them correctly. 

2. Are there things you need to memorize by heart?

There aren’t things I necessarily need to memorize, but when I am using the phones, I usually know most people’s extensions from transferring phone calls a lot. Other than that, some things just come naturally when you’re working in an office setting, as a part of your daily routine. 

3. How has this job been a learning experience for you?

My job has taught me that there are a lot of kind people in the building. When working in a public service field, it’s very important to be kind and give people the same grace that you would expect in return. It has also taught me that a simple, “Good morning,” or, “How are you?” can go a long way. Kindness never goes unnoticed.

4. What did you do prior to your job as Mrs. Katz’s Secretary?

Prior to becoming Mrs. Katz’s secretary, I was a community assistant in the guidance department. I handled admissions and some student records.

5. What has been the highlight of your job?

The highlight of my job has been the interaction with students and my student aides. We’ve developed a relationship based on respect and warmth. They know they can come to me for anything. Our student aides also help me tremendously in daily tasks, I know I can always rely on them. 

6. What was your educational experience like, and how did it pave the way for you to become secretary?

My educational experience was great, but it didn’t necessarily overlay with my position as a secretary. I went to school for Psychology, but it does help when dealing with different personalities at work- since psychology is the study of people.

7. How has this job and the people around you shaped your experience at FDR?

FDR has taught me a lot about different cultures and backgrounds. I’ve made some friends along the way which makes the daily experience more pleasant. At the end of the day, it’s all about our students and their needs- whether it is physical, educational, or emotional. A little bit of compassion truly makes all the difference in their lives.

A special New Dealer thanks to Amber! The Cougar family truly appreciates all you do for us!